Need Help Choosing Podcasting Software?
If you're new to the world of podcasting you'll soon be searching for software to make yours the best podcast on the Internet. It will help you to get off to the right start by knowing a little about what is offered.
Podcasting software can broadly be placed within 3 categories: Recording, Feed Creator and Publishing. Some software programs may offer a combination of all of these. There are literally 100's of programs available online and it is oftentimes difficult to know exactly what, if anything is needed. Following is a list of a few of the available software programs to get you started:
1. Audacity is a free software open source program that has features for the beginner and advanced podcaster. With Audacity you can record and edit sounds to your heart's content on a MAC, Windows PC and other operating systems as well. Don't let the price (or lack thereof) fool you. This is a great software program that many professionals use by choice.
2. Easy Podcast is another open source product with a graphical-user interface (GUI). This program, available for Windows PC and Linux, is available in English and Spanish. 3. BlogMatrix Sparks! 2.0 - bills itself as a "one-stop" solution for recording, sharing and listening to podcasts. Also a free program, Sparks! 2.0 is easy to use and provides you with everything you need to mix, record, publish, listen and store your podcasts.
4. ePodcast Creator - is not free but it has some really good features, such as drag & drop loading of music and sound effects files that make it worth the price. This program is easy for beginners with advanced features that professionals love as well. Recording, editing, creating a feed in RSS and uploading the podcast file are all included in this great software package.
5. ePodcast Producer is available from the same publisher with even more advanced features. The price is substantially more than the ePodcast Creator but you can download a free trial.
6. Escapepodder - This free software program available from sourceforge.net allows you to automatically generate a feed in RSS as well as HTML directly from MP3 files with a minimum of user intervention. MP3 files are scanned and the RSS is created directly from a one-time authored configuration file. The author of this software program created it for personal use because he couldn't find a satisfactory program. Google it and you'll find the download source.
7. Feed For All - this software is an application allows the streamlining, publishing and creating of feeds in RSS which is crucial for your podcast. RSS is the way you get your podcast before the masses so this is important software to know about. One thing you should be aware of, however, is that FeedForAll has no built-in audio recorder and editor. You would need to purchase other software for podcast production.
This list is just the tip of the iceberg as there are many podcasting software products currently available. Your basic needs for producing a podcast are simple and you may already have some of the tools you need: a computer with a sound card, a microphone, an audio recorder/editor, a RSS creator/publisher/reader (If you have a blog you will more than likely have the capabilities of RSS). After taking stock of what you have you can go searching for the rest of your podcasting software. Enjoy the journey.
Jimmy "CL" Newson
I have over 17 years experience dealing in all aspects of the music industry from audio and video production to marketing and promotions. I am currently working on projects involving internet television, internet radio and live music performances across the United States. My primary focus in on the independent music community. For more information, please visit our websites. If you are involved in the independent community or are an independent artists, check us out.